What to do before the sample taking
General rules - What to do before sample taking
If you are going to have a blood sample taken (or another body fluid), remember that a correct result is conditioned on some basic rules. One day prior to the sampling it is not recommended to do any physically demanding exercise that could distort the results. One day prior to the sampling, around 4 pm, you should stop consuming some particular food and drink that could influence the results – make sure to avoid alcohol, chocolate and nuts. A light meal will be better.
It is advisable to come to the sample taking with an empty stomach, yet it is good to drink water or unsweetened tea before leaving home (about 0.3 l).
Instructions for patients – before taking samples for laboratory examination
Sampling of venous blood
- Blood-samples taking is to be done in the morning from a fasting patient unless the doctor decices otherwise.
- Avoid fatty food and drink enough amount of liquids during the evening before the blood-sample making.
- Avoid too hard physical activity before the blood samples taking.
- Drink up at least 1/2l of water of tea without sugar in the morning before the blood-samples taking.
- Please bring the requestion if the blood samples taking is to be done based on your doctor's demand.
Urine sample taking
- The first morning urine sample is to be used for the examination. The urine is to be taken into a sterile container. It is necessary to wash genitals before taking the urine sample.
- Do not drink excessive amount of liquids during the night.
- Deliver a fill 10ml test-tube into the laboratory. Label the tube with full name and date of birth. The sample must be given to the laboratory 2 hours after sample making the latest.
- The examination of the urine sediment can`t be done from the menstruating woman's urine.
Throat swab test
- Throat swab is to be taken in the morning while fasting and before the oral hygiene.
- Do not eat, drink, smoke or rinse your mouth at least 2 hours before the sample taking.
Sputum - slime
- Throat sample taking is to be taken in the morning after the oral hygiene or mouth rinse while fasting.
- Patient coughs out the sputum into a sterie container.
Sample taking for ocult bleeding examination
- Sample is to be put into a special set.
- Diet rich on roughage is recomended to eat at least three days before the sample taking. (Fruit, vegetables, whole-grain pastry, nuts).
- Do not take the samples during menstruation. Diarhoea and whilr using drugs that lower blood thinners (Warfarin) or anti-inflammatory drugs (eg. Aspirin).
- Detailed guidance how to make such collection comes with the sampling container at the doctor, or you can download the manual here.
Urine sample taking for the Chlamydia trichromatis DNA testing
- Urine sample is to be taken without the previous washing of genitals.
- The urine sample is to be taken from the first portion of the day. That is at least 2 hours after the first morning urination.
- The sample is to be taken into a sterile plastic container. The amount is 10 to 50ml.
In case of necessity of another tests you will be guided step by step by our staff in our Synlab office or via our call center (800 800 234).